- Compatible XF 2.x versions
Shadow bans posts by selected users.
If you have a user that posts inappropriately but you don't want to ban them outright, then Shadow banning could be the perfect solution. Shadow banning is the act of blocking a problem users posts so that it's not apparent to them. The user will see the posts as normal, but the post will not be visible to other members and visitors. Shadow banning will hopefully have the effect to make the problem user change the way they are posting because they are not getting replies to their posts.
(Example of User permissions)
(Example of Awaiting approval message)
- Download Andy-ShadowBanPosts-1.4.zip and unzip it.
- Copy the src/addons/Andy/Alerts directory to your server.
- From the Admin Control Panel Install the add-on.
To shadow ban users posts, go to User Permissions and set the 'Submit content without approval' to Never. Do this for each user you wish to shadow ban.
Admin control panel -> Groups & permissions -> User permissions
Members with 'Submit content without approval' set to Never:
- Thread replies will be shadow banned.
- New threads will be immediately approved.
- New profile posts will be immediately approved.
- New profile post comments will be immediately approved.
Q: Will this work with XenForo Media Gallery?
Q: How will the add-on deal with existing posts made by a member I want to shadow ban?
A: The add-on will only effect new posts made by the member you want to shadow ban.
Q: Will posts made by the shadow banned user show in the Approval queue?
Q: I see the "Awaiting approval" message, will normal members see this?
A: No. Only moderators see that message.