• We've added extra Spam Protection. if you get problem with account registration / registration rejected. please contact us

How much ram/cpu is needed?

pro20

Reaction score
Hello!

How much ram/cpu is needed for a dedicated and a ( normal ) XF2 forum with around 2000 recurrent daily users?

pro20

Reaction score
I would also like to hear a good mysql config settings for a Xeon dedicated server ( quad ) with 8G Ram? I ran the tuner but it always throws different results and it's confusing.

Nginx

Senior Management
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

How much ram/cpu is needed for a dedicated and a ( normal ) XF2 forum with around 2000 recurrent daily users?
if you are using nginx with redis caching, you don't need much ram.

Lars

+ Member +
Reaction score
in my experience overkill cpu is usually not needed. you poss can get away comfortably with 8gb ram for the time being (more, like 16+ will def not hurt - a good amount of ram does more for you than a fast cpu). depending on the size (posts/ content) elasticsearch will be pretty much always better than mysql search. ssd's would be key also in my opinion to keep things speedy, or at least a ssd/ hdd combo. nginx poss would improve overall performance as well, but that is based on hearsay, since i have no real-live experience with it myself to speak of. based on theoretical info it should be preferred i think. keeping things lean, well optimized and use caching options depending on system will def. give you further advantage. using cloudflare (or any other cdn of your choice) could give you a little more of an edge (beside the added security features). i like cloudflare because even their free plan is actually useful and not just a joke to upsell you. anyway, you might actually get away with less if your system is well tuned, i tend to be on the larger end and sleep well ;). i use contabo (dot) de for vps hosting, they have insanely good deals like:
CPU: 10 core Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 oder 4114 Prozessor
60 GB RAM (guaranteed)
1600 GB storage (100% SSD)
for about 27Euro... but that's beside the thematic and will call 500ppl that know better deals out. just saying what i use with good results and cheap. obviously that plan is overkill, you can get really good and cheap vps as well.
anyway, hope that helps a bit.

lars

mauromatos

+ Member +
Reaction score
if you are using nginx with redis caching, you don't need much ram.
Hello, how to install this Redis Caching in a server CentOS 7 using VestaCP ? And how to configure Xenforo 2.1.2 to work with it? If that's not much hassle to explain it will also help lot of people like me with the same concerns.

mauromatos

+ Member +
Reaction score
in my experience overkill cpu is usually not needed. you poss can get away comfortably with 8gb ram for the time being (more, like 16+ will def not hurt - a good amount of ram does more for you than a fast cpu). depending on the size (posts/ content) elasticsearch will be pretty much always better than mysql search. ssd's would be key also in my opinion to keep things speedy, or at least a ssd/ hdd combo. nginx poss would improve overall performance as well, but that is based on hearsay, since i have no real-live experience with it myself to speak of. based on theoretical info it should be preferred i think. keeping things lean, well optimized and use caching options depending on system will def. give you further advantage. using cloudflare (or any other cdn of your choice) could give you a little more of an edge (beside the added security features). i like cloudflare because even their free plan is actually useful and not just a joke to upsell you. anyway, you might actually get away with less if your system is well tuned, i tend to be on the larger end and sleep well ;). i use contabo (dot) de for vps hosting, they have insanely good deals like:
CPU: 10 core Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 oder 4114 Prozessor
60 GB RAM (guaranteed)
1600 GB storage (100% SSD)
for about 27Euro... but that's beside the thematic and will call 500ppl that know better deals out. just saying what i use with good results and cheap. obviously that plan is overkill, you can get really good and cheap vps as well.
anyway, hope that helps a bit.

lars
I currently run a dedi with 8gb ram, quad core xeon. But sometimes i get a 520 cloudflare error not sure why this happens, the forum doesn't have more than 20 users at a time and less than 5000 posts.

Lars

+ Member +
Reaction score
I currently run a dedi with 8gb ram, quad core xeon. But sometimes i get a 520 cloudflare error not sure why this happens, the forum doesn't have more than 20 users at a time and less than 5000 posts.
i am by no means the best person to discuss server issues (in my own honest opinion), but if you run above setup with stated users etc. you have a problem that has (most likely) nothing to do with your hardware. error 520 is kind of a broad range error message that can be caused by many things, like:
  • connection resets after a successful tcp handshake
  • headers that exceed cloudflare’s header size limit (8kb)
  • an empty response from the origin server
  • an invalid http response
  • an http response without response headers
you would have to drill down on the actual cause of it. i doubt it is insufficient hardware! i assume you running a nginx setup (based on your before post), where i really have next to zero experience to help... should it nginx specific/ based.
cloudflare rate limiting rules or other filtering requests (e.g., by connecting ip or volume/frequency) may sometimes cause issues with applications. it is important to review and test these aspects of your overall configuration. also, be sure to whitelist cloudflare's ip's in the origin server.

lars

ps: here is sth that helped me before, hope that can be of help for you as well...

"
Troubleshoot Error 520
Due to the nature of an Error 520 response, it is best to test against the origin web server. You can use cURL and generate HTTP Archive files (HAR) as described below.

Use a cURL command
With cURL, you confirm if any of the conditions outlined above have triggered the error. This is especially true to determine if the origin server is returning an empty reply, invalid HTTP response, or extremely large response headers.
Below is an example command used to force the Host HTTP header while sending the request to the source IP address where the domain is hosted. In this example, we are sending a request for a login page:
curl -vso /dev/null --user-agent "Mozilla 5.0" -H "Host: example.com" http://123.123.123.321/login

Below is an example output where the origin response with an empty reply, which would normally trigger a 520 error if the request was proxied by Cloudflare:
* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
* Trying 123.123.123.321...
* Connected to 123.123.123.321 (123.123.123.321) port 80 (#0)
> GET /login HTTP/1.1
> User-Agent: Mozilla 5.0
> Accept: */*
> Host: example.com
>
* Empty reply from server
* Connection #0 to host 123.123.123.321 left intact

A successful response header might look something like this:
> GET /login HTTP/1.1
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Content-Type: text/html
< Date: Day, DD, Month Year Hour:Minute:Second Timezone
{ [14240 bytes data]
..."

mauromatos

+ Member +
Reaction score
i am by no means the best person to discuss server issues (in my own honest opinion), but if you run above setup with stated users etc. you have a problem that has (most likely) nothing to do with your hardware. error 520 is kind of a broad range error message that can be caused by many things, like:
  • connection resets after a successful tcp handshake
  • headers that exceed cloudflare’s header size limit (8kb)
  • an empty response from the origin server
  • an invalid http response
  • an http response without response headers
you would have to drill down on the actual cause of it. i doubt it is insufficient hardware! i assume you running a nginx setup (based on your before post), where i really have next to zero experience to help... should it nginx specific/ based.
cloudflare rate limiting rules or other filtering requests (e.g., by connecting ip or volume/frequency) may sometimes cause issues with applications. it is important to review and test these aspects of your overall configuration. also, be sure to whitelist cloudflare's ip's in the origin server.

lars

ps: here is sth that helped me before, hope that can be of help for you as well...

"
Troubleshoot Error 520
Due to the nature of an Error 520 response, it is best to test against the origin web server. You can use cURL and generate HTTP Archive files (HAR) as described below.

Use a cURL command
With cURL, you confirm if any of the conditions outlined above have triggered the error. This is especially true to determine if the origin server is returning an empty reply, invalid HTTP response, or extremely large response headers.
Below is an example command used to force the Host HTTP header while sending the request to the source IP address where the domain is hosted. In this example, we are sending a request for a login page:
curl -vso /dev/null --user-agent "Mozilla 5.0" -H "Host: example.com" http://123.123.123.321/login

Below is an example output where the origin response with an empty reply, which would normally trigger a 520 error if the request was proxied by Cloudflare:
> GET /login HTTP/1.1
>
* Empty reply from server

A successful response header might look something like this:
> GET /login HTTP/1.1
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Content-Type: text/html
< Date: Day, DD, Month Year Hour:Minute:Second Timezone
{ [14240 bytes data]
..."
I don't get this error anymore, though i wanted to install Redis cache and i really couldn't do it.

I installed in centos 6.1 , where it's placed by default on /etc/redis.conf ( opposite as most tutorials where they claim redis is found at /etc/redis/redis.conf

When i try the redis-cli test i receive "PONG" result so it means it should be working.

But when i go to Xenforo 2.1 ACP and i install the XON Redis plugin, it says "Redis is disabled"

So, screw Redis and i tried Memcached, i do have this enabled on my server so i just added to config.php on /src :
Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['sessions'] = true;
$config['cache']['config'] = [
    'server' => '127.0.0.1'
];
$config['cache']['provider'] = 'Memcached';
Now it runs fine, but really not sure if memcached is actually working with Xenforo 2 as there's no way to know it.

Lars

+ Member +
Reaction score
I don't get this error anymore, though i wanted to install Redis cache and i really couldn't do it.

I installed in centos 6.1 , where it's placed by default on /etc/redis.conf ( opposite as most tutorials where they claim redis is found at /etc/redis/redis.conf

When i try the redis-cli test i receive "PONG" result so it means it should be working.

But when i go to Xenforo 2.1 ACP and i install the XON Redis plugin, it says "Redis is disabled"

So, screw Redis and i tried Memcached, i do have this enabled on my server so i just added to config.php on /src :
Code:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['sessions'] = true;
$config['cache']['config'] = [
    'server' => '127.0.0.1'
];
$config['cache']['provider'] = 'Memcached';
Now it runs fine, but really not sure if memcached is actually working with Xenforo 2 as there's no way to know it.
any particular reason for you to still run on centos 6.1?

lars

mauromatos

+ Member +
Reaction score
any particular reason for you to still run on centos 6.1?

lars
My hosting dedicated server came with centos 6.1 , vestacp and remi php 7.0 ( I say remi because it's what works in xenforo showing up as 7.0 , and the folder inside server is in remi php 7 , though when I go to root ssh and type for php version I get 5.4, it's a weird installation... I have no idea how to upgrade as the whole thing seems hybrid I may kill it if I try to install anything

Lars

+ Member +
Reaction score
My hosting dedicated server came with centos 6.1 , vestacp and remi php 7.0 ( I say remi because it's what works in xenforo showing up as 7.0 , and the folder inside server is in remi php 7 , though when I go to root ssh and type for php version I get 5.4, it's a weird installation... I have no idea how to upgrade as the whole thing seems hybrid I may kill it if I try to install anything
ok, fair enough. i was just asking since the newest is not always the best and thought there might be sth more "tricky" behind keeping centos 6.1 ;). i am always keen to learn more :)

cheers, L

ps: you can always set another server up on your dedicated host with the so called latest and greatest from scratch and play with it to check for potential improvements and fixed glitches. if it looks good swap your whole site over (remember always have a complete backup, in case the shit hits the fan). no real concerns from my end, since your server seems to work for you, but just from the short rundown (without any detail) that setup sounds kinda screwed up to me and like potential issues further on. and you saying that you don't really know why it is like that and how to upgrade without potential issues... i would create a next clean install where everything is aok+ and go from there. just a thought...

DukeD

Reaction score
Xenforo doesn't reqiure much resources, but as your site grows and as the number of users increases the recourse requirement will be higher. I have a small community and it works well on a single core cpu and 512MB ram

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock